Whilst rummaging through the materials remnant section in John Lewis on Sunday we found a two metre piece that we both liked that would suit our hallway. We looked at each other and confirmed that it would make an ideal curtain for our front door. You see our front door is a wooden stable door which we both adore, its perfect for when you have dogs as it keeps them secure when people come to the door. Even without dogs it adds an extra feeling of security when opening the door to strangers as the bottom half is securely locked. As much as we love this door and would never consider changing it, (unless we were upgrading it for an oak stable door!) it can be a bit drafty depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Before the days of UPVC doors and windows it was common place to have a heavy curtain at the front door along with friendly snakes or sausage dogs at the bottom of external and some internal (notably the living room) doors. Hubby and I had been chatting about the merit of reintroducing some of these ideas during the latest and quite severe cold snap.
So we happily purchased material and thermal liner as well as all the necessary bits and pieces and set off back home. During the journey, I said to hubby “You do realise as per my New Years resolutions, I won’t be able to start this until about March, I can’t start any new projects” His reply, “Its not a project, its a chore” Which made me giggle and gave me the loop hole I required.
Now I have never made lined curtains before, I have made curtains and liners and put them together so that if necessary the liner was easily removable. But not lined curtains, so I studied a few in John Lewis before I left.
Right sides together I pinned and sewed one length, having first made sure your top of the material is straight.
Next I pinned and sewed the other side. But you have to wiggle the liner across as it is smaller than the material which is just what I wanted.
Before turning clip into the edges every so often to prevent the curtain from twisting, which will allow it to hang straight. (I do love the internet)
Turn inside out so the right side can be seen and wiggle the curtain around until you have equal amounts of material on both edges and press a seam into it.
Header in place and sewn. I hand sewed the hem at the bottom, making sure it was straight.
and hubby came home and fixed the rail in place. The curtain is slightly shorter than we would have liked, but that has a bonus in that doggy paw prints or muddy shoes shouldn’t make it filthy at the bottom.
But it has left me with another chore to do, *grin* I can hear him hissing as we speak.